Gold Standard Detox
What is ‘Gold Standard Detox’ certification?
Gold Standard Detox certification verifies that your product does exactly what it claims, namely to detox specific environmental toxins from the human body. The Detox Project reviews third-party clinical trials to verify specific detoxification claims, before issuing Gold Standard Detox certification for a product.
What we certify:
- Detox Products – products that claim to reduce or remove specific environmental toxins from the body
If a product is certified under our Gold Standard Detox standard it also means that the product does not contain residues of the specific environmental toxin/s that the product is claiming to detox. This is proven through testing at a third-party laboratory, using gold standard testing methods, during the certification process and following that at least 3 times a year.
Why should I get my product Golden Standard Detox certified?
Detox products have been under attack from many sources for claiming that they reduce the levels or remove environmental toxins from the body, without clinical trials or third-party verification.
Some of these attacks can be seen here: The Guardian: You can’t detox your body. It’s a myth. So how do you get healthy? MEL Magazine: Yes, Of Course, Detoxing Is a Scam Examine: Detoxes: an undefined scam
The Detox Project has launched Gold Standard Detox certification to help Detox brands to gain more trust amongst consumers and in the media.
How much will it cost to get certified?
The Detox Project has a set one-off fee for Gold Standard Detox certification.
- US $9,500 per certified product
This certification is a one-time certification, which means that after you pay the fee outlined above your product will be Gold Standard Detox certified forever, as long as the product is not significantly changed as described in the certification Standard.
Please contact us to start the certification process!
How long will it take to get certified?
On average the Gold Standard Detox certification process takes 2 weeks, if you have already performed Gold Standard clinical trials that meet our Standard.
What type of products and programs can be certified?
Any detox product that claims to reduce the levels or remove specific environmental toxins from the human body can enter our certification process. Products will only be certified if they fully meet our Standard.
Do you have another question that you don’t see here? Please contact us.
The Gold Standard Detox certification program (the “Program”) has been established to:
- Make sure detox products do what they claim, namely to reduce the levels or remove specific environmental toxins from the human body.
- Give consumers greater confidence in detox products
- Educate consumers about the harm being caused by environmental toxins to health and the environment
Purpose of the Standard
- Describes the certification framework and requirements applicable to detox products certified as Gold Standard Detox (“Certified Products”);
- Provides guidance for public claims made in connection with Certified Products, either on or off Certified Products’ packaging.
Intended Users of the Standard
The Standard is intended to be used by detox product manufacturers interested in having detox products certified under the Program, as well as purchasers of Certified Products. Handlers of Certified Products include distributors, wholesalers, importers, processors and manufacturers. Purchasers of Certified Products include grocery chains, institutional buyers and the public.
This Standard is voluntary and nonbinding. It is not intended to replace the legal or regulatory requirements of any country in which Certified Products are produced, handled, sold or promoted. Companies participating in the Program are not ultimately required to produce a certified product and they are not required to utilize the Gold Standard Detox certification mark/s on Certified Products.
This Standard applies to detox products submitted for assessment to determine whether they can be certified as Gold Standard Detox.
Program Applicant Submissions
As a prerequisite for assessment, detox product manufacturers are required to submit supporting documents prior to a certification being granted. Required supporting documents may include, but are not necessarily limited to the following:
- Signed Gold Standard Detox certification agreement
- Product ingredients list disclosure
- Conformance Requirements for Certified Products including third-party clinical trials
In order for a detox product to be certified Gold Standard Detox:
The detox product must be clearly shown to reduce the levels or remove specific environmental toxins from the human body in Gold Standard third-party clinical trials.
Clinical trial details and results for a product must be presented to the certifier and are assessed based on three main criteria:
- The clinical trial must involve 10 or more people
- The clinical trial must have a Gold Standard protocol
- The clinical trial must use Gold Standard testing methods
The Gold Standard Detox Certificate of Compliance and Mark for Certified Products will clearly outline which environmental toxin/s have been shown to be reduced or removed from the human body during approved third-party clinical trials.
Certified Products must also themselves not contain the specific environmental toxin/s outlined in the Certificate of Compliance, above laboratory limits of detection, shown by confidential third-party laboratory results using Gold Standard testing methods at least 3 times a year. The product sample must be laboratory tested by a qualified laboratory (if accepted) in accordance with the Programs testing requirements.
Duration of Certification
Once a product has been successfully certified, the certification shall remain in effect for as long as the product exists, unless the certification is suspended or revoked in accordance with the provision ‘Revocation or Suspension’ below.
As a quality control measure, Certified Products may be spot retested at any time to check if they contain residues of the specific environmental toxin/s outlined in the Certificate of Compliance. The results of spot retests will remain confidential and will only be released to the Client.
Revocation or Suspension.
A certification will be suspended or revoked if any of the following conditions exist:
- A Certified Product’s manufacturer is unwilling or unable to correct observed discrepancies;
- A Certified Product’s manufacturer substantially changes the Certified Product/s ingredients without going through a new clinical testing process that meets the Gold Standard Detox Standard.
- A Certified Product manufacturer is unwilling or unable to meet financial or contractual arrangements;
- A Certified Product manufacturer is intentionally misusing the Gold Standard Detox certification mark/s; or
- A Certified Product manufacturer is intentionally violating any program requirements.
Product Integrity and Traceability
The Manufacturer of a Certified Product is required to:
- Demonstrate the ability to recall certified products if discrepancies are found after certification.
- Demonstrate the ability to prevent comingling and contamination of Certified Products with non-certified products.
Use of Gold Standard Detox mark/s
The Producer of a Certified Product is permitted to use the Gold Standard Detox certification mark/s in connection with the Certified Product, either directly on product labels, signage and other point-of-sale materials, or indirectly in websites, brochures, and other printed and online collateral. If the Gold Standard Detox Certified Product is sold or promoted in a country or territory which requires a labeling language other than English, the words “This product is certified Gold Standard Detox” should be translated accordingly (only with official The Detox Project translations) and placed on the packaging or promotional material alongside the English Gold Standard Detox mark. The Detox Project can also provide translated marks when requested.
What we certify:
- Detox Products that reduce the levels or remove specific environmental toxins from the human body
The process for certification is as follows:
- You Apply for Certification by contacting us via e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org and we will send you a list of required documentation.
- We review your third-party clinical trial results.
- We send you the Certification Decision based on your clinical trial results, which must meet our Standard to be accepted.
- If your certification is accepted we send you the Certification Agreement to fill in and sign.
- You pay us the following amount upon signing the agreement and after invoice:
- $9500 per certified product
- This certification is a one-time certification, which means that after you pay the fee above your product will be Gold Standard Detox certified forever, as long as the product is not significantly changed as outlined in the certification Standard and yearly residue testing requirements on detox products are met.
- All certified products are included on The Detox Project Gold Standard Detox product list and promoted to our global audience
A new certification launched by The Detox Project on Tuesday brings a new chance for detox brands, who claim they remove toxic chemicals from the body, to prove themselves to the public. The detox industry has received a lot of criticism over recent years from...